7 Easy Steps to get the Birth Certificate for your new born child in India
If you are expecting a baby, it is important for you to know the procedure to apply for and obtain a birth certificate for your child born in India.
Birth Certificate is issued by the Municipal Corporation/Municipal Council in urban areas whereas in rural areas the authority is the Tehsildar at the Taluka level. The authority at the village level is the Gram Panchayat Office.
What is the process for applying fro a Birth Certificate?
Step 1- Get a birth Certificate Registration Form from the registrar’s office (from your municipal authority).
Step 2- When a child is born in a hospital, the form is provided by the Medical Officer In-charge.
Step 3- Fill in the form within 21 days of birth of the child.
Step 4- If birth is not registered within 21 days of it’s occurrence, birth certificate is issued after police verification.
Step 5- Once the verification of the birth records (date, time, place of birth, parent’s ID proof, nursing home etc.) is done by the registrar, birth certificate is issued to the applicant.
Step 6- 7 days after applying for birth certificate, follow up with municipal authority to obtain the birth certificate.
Step 7- By providing a self addressed envelope at the municipality office, the birth certificate is posted to the respective address within 7–14 working days.
What all documents does one require for such an application?
- Parents birth certificates
- Marriage certificate of the parents
- Proof of birth letter in hospital
- Parents’ identity proof (for verification)
Where is this Birth Certificate required?
A birth certificate is required for:
- Seeking admission in educational institutes.
- Getting employment.
- Establishing one’s age with any institution.
- Claiming social security benefits (e.g. health schemes).
- Passport Application.
- Immigration needs like applying for Green Card.
- Obtaining certified documents such as Voter’s ID, Driving License, Passport, Marriage Certificate, etc.